Advice for Christmas time
What foods are toxic to dogs?
Dogs can be opportunists when it comes to getting access to yummy treats, but not all our everyday food and drinks are safe if they manage to get hold of them. Learn which nine items are particularly dangerous to your dog.
1. ONIONS, GARLIC AND CHIVES
The onion family, whether dry, raw or cooked, is particularly toxic to dogs and can cause gastrointestinal irritation and red blood cell damage. Signs of illness are not always immediate and can occur up to a few days later.
However enticing chocolate is for humans and dogs alike, chocolate is a poisonous food for dogs. Chocolate contains a stimulant called theobromine (dark chocolate has the highest content of this) which is toxic to dogs and can cause kidney failure.
3. MACADAMIA NUTS
Macadamia nuts contain a poisen that can affect your dog’s muscles and nervous system resulting in weakness, swollen limbs and panting.
4. CORN ON THE COB
Corn on the cob could potentially be fatal if eaten by your dog. Although the corn is digested by dogs, the cob can cause a blockage in your dog’s intestine.
Avocados are another poisonous food for dogs. Avocado plants contain a substance called Persin which is in its leaves, fruit and seed and can cause vomiting and diarrhoea in dogs.
6. ARTIFICIAL SWEETENER (XYLITOL)
Our desire for sweet treats, chewing gum and drinks together with low-fat, diet and sugar-free products (including some peanut butters so always check the label before using this as a treat) are often laced with an artificial sweetener called Xylitol which causes an insulin release in our bodies. However, if your dog digests one of these sweetened foods they can go into hypoglycaemia which is linked to liver failure and blood clotting disorders.
Alcohol has a huge impact on dogs even in small doses. The drink not only causes intoxication as it does in humans, but it can lead to sickness, diarrhoea and even central nervous system damage.
8. COOKED BONES
Giving your dog a raw uncooked bone to chew on is great, but avoid cooked bones at all cost. These can easily splinter and in large quantities cause constipation or at worst, a perforation of the gut which can be fatal.
9. GRAPES AND RAISINS
Raisins are in many of the foods that we love to eat such as cakes, biscuits and cereals so it’s not just the fruit form we should be concerned with. The active ingredient which causes the toxin is unknown, however both grapes and raisins may cause severe liver damage and kidney failure.
WHAT SHOULD I DO IF MY DOG HAS EATEN ANY OF THESE?
If consumed, even small amounts of these items can be fatal so always act immediately and take your dog to the vets.
Please get in contact via our email Sprockerassist@gmail.com or via our facebook page – Sprockerassist